Monday, April 27, 2009

friends

Yesterday we went to see the movie "The Soloist" with Jamie Foxx and Robert Downey Jr. It is not a feel good all over movie, but it is one that makes you think and get a better understanding of what some homeless are like. They are people not nameless faces. I am uncomfortable around the homeless, they take me out of my comfort zone. I don't make eye contact with them. This bothers me, I feel like I should be a better person than this.
another thing that bothered me is I saw behaviors in the main character that hopefully today a teacher would recognize as "different" and the system would be able to help him before the schizaphernia (Iknow it is misspelled) got out of control. We often think these kids are just a little off, but could we help them sooner. This character was not violent but so many are, again sometimes I think fear stops us from doing anything.
The real bottom line in the movie was sometimes all someone needs is a friend, not be saved, not to be rescued just someone to listen to them, to care about them to be a friend. I think that is the hardest thing to do, accept someone for who they are and be their friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment